Wednesday 20 May 2015

Making Tissue and Wipe Covers. Do your sewing projects multiply?

Making tissue pack covers is so easy!!!  I recently saw a post here that used this method to make covers for the small tissue packs we carry in our handbags. 

So I thought I'd give them a go.  Then came the idea to make covers for Wet Ones to go with them.  This would be a good 'Mothers' Day gift' for my daughter and daughters-in-law too.  I mean, doesn't every mother need both tissues and wet ones in her handbag?

Both are constructed the same way - I'll demonstrate what I did with the Wet One Pack.


Cut outer fabric and lining:

For the tissues, you need to cut the outer fabric 5 1/2" x 6 1/2" and the lining 5 1/2" x 7 1/2"

For the Wet Ones, the outer fabric is 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" and the lining is 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"


With right sides together, stitch one short edge - 1/4" seam.  Trim seam.


Repeat with other short end.  Note: you will have a 'bubble' on the lining side as it is longer.

Turn to right sides and press seams towards lining.  Smooth out extra lining fabric, making sure you have the same amount of lining showing on each end.


Machine in the ditch to keep lining 'Trim' in place.  Repeat at other end.


Fold finished edges into the centre, lining fabric on outside.


Stitch across each end with a 1/4" seam - I reversed at beginning, over centre edges and at the end for added strength.


Overlock or zigzag across raw edges.


Turn through to right side, making sure corners look square.   Press.


Fill with your Wet Ones (or tissues).  I folded the crimped edges of the Wet Ones under as I put them in, so that they were more snug.  Otherwise you would need to make the cover a little wider (6 1/2" not 5 1/2")


Well, after making my three sets for the girls, I just kept going, so now my sister and sister-in-laws and a niece and friends have received these packs... and there are another 10 sets ready to be filled with tissues and Wet Ones.

If you are using fat quarters, I think I got 7 out of each one.  Cut 5 1/2" strips then cross-cut into outer fabric sized pieces to suit either the tissues or the Wet Ones.  I used yardage for the lining, again cutting 5 1/2" strips and then cross-cutting appropriately.

Looking at the post linked above, I have noticed that the centre edges were overlapped slightly before sealing ends shut.  The corners were also boxed.  So I am sure there are many ways to make these covers.  In the past I have added lace at the shorter ends as a trim, omitting the need for the lining to be longer than the outer fabric.  

So why not have a go and tidy up your handbag with these easy to spot covers for your tissues and wipes.  And I'll be surprised if you can stop at one set!!!


1 comment:

  1. Oh Marylin da warst Du aber fleißig !
    Ich finde die kleinen Taschentüchertaschen auch total schön und praktisch.
    Schöne Stoffe hast Du ausgesucht !
    Liebe Grüße
    Käthe

    ReplyDelete